Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Winter 2015 Essentials


(This is my first blog post ever.... eee!!! So exciting!!!!)

I live in Ontario and the winters here are brutal and make everything dry, so I'm always on the lookout for products that make this weather a little more bearable. Here are a list of my go-to products that I have and will continue to repurchase over and over.

1. Essie Nail Polish: In the summer I usually go for bright shades, but in the winter I tend to stick to dark colours (black, red, navy blue, etc.). Essie is one of my favourites not only because the packaging is so cute but because it actually lasts on my nails for about a week and isn't too difficult to remove.

2. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub: No matter what moisturizer I use on my face in the winter, I get flaky skin around my nose and forehead. This scrub helps remove dead skin while preventing fresh skin from flaking (plus it's cheap and smells really good!).

3. Nivea Lip Butter in Raspberry Rose: This is the best smelling lip chap I have ever used. It smells like pink lemonade and goes on like butter. Since this lip chap comes in a tin and doesn't have any tint I usually use it before bed.

4. Dior Addict Lip Glow: This is my favourite lip product of all time. It took me forever to get around to buying this because of the steep price tag ($37 at Sephora) but I finally bit the bullet recently and I'm so glad I did. The packaging is stunning, it's moisturizing but not sticky, and leaves the most beautiful colour behind (a your lip but better sort of colour--even my boyfriend notices).

5. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter: My lips are almost always dry in the winter which makes it impossible for me to wear most lipsticks. This lipstick is my favourite because it feels like a lip balm but has a beautiful and long lasting colour. My favourite shade right now is Raspberry Pie.

6. Nivea Firming Body Lotion: This is my favourite body moisturizer right now. It's thick, doesn't really have a smell to it, and absorbs really quickly into the skin. I've noticed a dramatic difference in the look and feel of my skin since using this product, and it leaves a nice glow for hours. I can't say for sure if it actually firms my skin (I'm young and relatively active) but it definitely improves its appearance. The fact that they sell this at Costco in a giant pump is a huge plus!

7. St. Tropez Self-Tanning Mousse: I discovered this product last year and I've been in love with it ever since. I've tried a million self-tanners and I always go back to this one because it doesn't leave a lingering smell, it isn't streaky, it fades gradually, and it actually makes me tan! I think we can all agree having a tan gives you confidence and makes you feel about ten pounds thinner, so to me it's worth the price.

8. EOS Everyday Hand Lotion in Berry Blossom: I've never really been a big hand cream girl but a few weeks ago I was walking to class and noticed my hands were bleeding because they were so dry and cracked. I bought this mostly because of the packaging (it's thin, sturdy, and can fit into the tiniest bag or wallet) but the formula has won me over. It's light, moisturizing, and smells so nice. My friends ask to borrow it all the time. (Note: I just found this at Dollarama for $2!!!).

9. Maybelline Falsies Waterproof Mascara: Waterproof mascara gets a lot of heat because it's harder to remove than regular mascara, some say it isn't good for your lashes, etc. but it's a must for me in the winter. I've been the girl that walked into class with raccoon eyes because it started to snow in the middle of my walk to school, and I don't want to be that girl ever again. Falsies is a great option for girls with short lashes because it isn't clumpy and it creates these fibres that cling to the lashes to make them look much longer. The only downside to this mascara is that it's difficult to remove, and I've had lash fallout because of it.

10. Moroccan Oil: If I had to use one hair product for the rest of my life it would be Moroccan oil hands down. This product has completely changed my hair. I used to have hair that wouldn't grow past a certain length, but ever since I've started using this on a daily basis my hair grows insanely fast (until recently my hair was down to my waist!). It smells amazing and the smell lingers in my hair all day long. I've never had any problems with residue or build up, and instead I'm left with healthy, shiny, hair. I'm going to need to review this product in full because I'm so obsessed with it.

11. Moroccan Oil Restorative Hair Mask: The same for Moroccan oil can be said about this product, except I only use this hair mask about once a week. It's the perfect product to restore hair after a week or so of heat damage. I usually leave it in for about a half an hour and rinse, and when I do I have zero tangles and my hair is infinitely softer. On days I use this mask I find that my hair is resistant to static that is generally unavoidable in cold temperatures.

12. Vaseline: This is the cheapest and most effective moisturizer out there. While I wouldn't use this on my face on a daily basis, it's perfect for dry areas like the elbows and around the nose. Apparently Jennifer Aniston uses Vaseline under her eyes every morning and night... so enough said.

13. Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Treatment Mask: I just discovered this product recently and it's easily become my favourite face mask. Each mask is pre-moistened and sealed in individual packages, so all you have to do is take it out and place it on your face. I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then rub in the remaining serum. It leaves my skin glowing and soft, and makeup applied afterwards looks so much better. (Warning: You will look like a serial killer when you wear this product, so if you're like me you should take lots of pictures and send them to your friends to scare them)

What are your favourite products in the winter? Have you tried any of the ones I've mentioned? Let me know in the comments!

 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Reading your comments always brightens my day and I appreciate them all so so much! xoxo

© Melissa Bartlett | Beauty & Lifestyle. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig