Monday, April 6, 2015

Contouring for Beginners



It's almost the end of my Easter weekend which I'm super bummed about because that means my boyfriend goes back to Edmonton and it's time to buckle down and start studying for finals. Even though I'm in a poopy mood I'm really excited about today's post because these are all products I've discovered recently that are my little miracle workers! Obviously none of these are designed to work together in terms of contouring, but they're really effective and make contouring quick and easy, especially for beginners.



I've seen people highlight before they contour, but I usually use the Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Contour as my first step after I've prepped my face with BB cream and a little bit of bronzer. This product is so easy to use because it glides right on and is surprisingly easy to blend. I've had a harder time blending in some bronzers than this chubby stick which I think says a lot. I've read a lot of reviews saying it's hard to apply the stick to the sides of the nose because it has a flat end as opposed to a sharp one, but I haven't had this problem. Maybe I have a big nose heheh.

My next step is applying the L'Oreal Magic Lumi Concealer as an all over highlighter. The key areas I apply this are my forehead, chin, under my eyes in an upside down triangle shape, and down the bridge of my nose. Even though this is a concealer and not a highlighter I find it really works best to brighten areas of the face as opposed to covering them up, making it perfect for contouring.

My last step is applying Benefit's Watts Up to emphasize the top of my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose. This is the most beautiful champagne colour highlighter, but I find it too shimmery to apply all over my face so I use it sparingly in areas I want a little extra glow.



From top to bottom: L'Oreal Magic Lumi, Benefit Watts Up, Clinique Chubby Contour

My only issue with Clinique's Chubby Contour is that it's dark and really warm toned. Right now there's only one colour offered, so it's definitely not a product that will work for everyone. I would personally prefer something a little lighter and cooler in colour but if blended properly it looks beautiful, and I can imagine it will look even better in the summer when I have a bit of a tan.

What are your favourite contouring products?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I reeeaallly want to try out that chubby stick, it looks amazing! But you're right, maybe slightly too warm for me! Watts Up is a favourite of mine though! xx

    LA COCO NOIRE ¦ Lifestyle, Food and Photography Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks because otherwise it would be peeeeerfect! Maybe one day they'll come out with more shades :)

      Delete
  2. I really want to try Watts Up, it looks so pretty!

    Jordan Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really want to start doing those types of posts but the iPhone is the absolute worst for picking up any detail so lip swatches/face shots have been impossible :( fingers crossed I get a camera for graduation at the end of the month!! :)

      Delete

Reading your comments always brightens my day and I appreciate them all so so much! xoxo

© Melissa Bartlett | Beauty & Lifestyle. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig