Wednesday, June 10, 2015

NYX High Voltage Lipsticks | My Thoughts

NYX High Voltage Lipsticks in Stone and Flutter Kiss

I mentioned a little while ago in my NYX Haul that two of the most recent additions to my lipstick collection are the NYX High Voltage Lipsticks in Stone and Flutter Kiss. I've used them a lot since purchasing them so I could get a really good idea about how well they wear, their pigmentation, what they pair well with, etc etc etc. I'm a HUGE fan of NYX products so my expectations were pretty high, but at the same time I didn't do much research on them before picking them up so I had zero idea what they would be like.

First, it might be obvious but these are not matte by any means. They have a very creamy formula that keeps the lips moisturized throughout the day, but they're pretty shiny looking and transfer a lot. When I say transfer I don't mean that they slide around on your face and 10 seconds after application it'll be on your cheek, but if you eat/drink/kiss it will come off. I also found that it didn't leave a stain, but that might be because I purchased two of the lighter shades, so this might not be true for the entire range.

NYX High Voltage Lipstick in Stone

Let's start with the colour Stone. Stone is browny nude that I was really excited about. It's a beautiful colour, but it almost has a bit of a grey undertone when applied to my lips so it washes me out a little bit. I've been trying it paired with mauve or pink lip liners and it looks gorgeous and so much more flattering. When I'm not in the mood to rock a matte lip or my lips are feeling really dry, this is what I've been turning to. It has good pigmentation (you might need to layer it on a few times if you have really pigmented lips though), it looks great with cool toned eyeshadows, and it fades completely evenly throughout the day so you won't end up looking like you're wearing only lip liner (we've all been there right?!).

NYX High Voltage Lipstick in Flutter Kiss

Next is Flutter Kiss, which is a stunning shade that I've been completely in love with. If you're as obsessed with Mac Soar Liner as I am and you're looking for something new to pair it with, you NEED this. It deepens the colour but adds a little bit of shine, so when I wear the combo my lips look so plump and hydrated. On it's own it's darker than an MLBB shade because my skin is so fair, so if you're fair and looking for a deep mauve shade, or if you have a darker skin tone, this would be absolutely perfect for you. The formula is consistent with Stone because it doesn't last forever on the lips, but it fades evenly and you'll actually enjoy touchups because it feels so moisturizing.

NYX High Voltage Lipsticks in Stone and Flutter Kiss

Here is Stone (top) and Flutter Kiss (bottom) swatched so you can see the pigmentation. The colours look a lot deeper on the lips than in the tube, so I would take that into consideration if you're trying to decide what shades to pick up. My only complaint is that the packaging gets SO dirty. Because the lid is clear, somehow lipstick gets all up in there and it ain't cute, but it's a small price to pay for how great these are.

Overall, if you're looking for moisturizing lipstick from the drugstore that you don't mind touching up throughout the day, get these!

Have you tried the NYX High Voltage Lipsticks?
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Seems I'm definitely missing something as there is still no NYX lipstick in my collection. Crazy! Stone and Flutter Kiss look gorgeous. I would also say that Stone reminds me a bit of Velvet Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too! But when I compared them Velvet Teddy actually has a lot more pink in it (which says a lot because it's really brown on me)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I have the liner of Soar and now I feel like I really need Flutter Kiss!! I like the slim packaging but too bad of the clear lid! Great review!

    x Josune, Your Beauty Script ❤
    http://yourbeautyscript.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope I can find these in stores, the shade stone is gorgeous and they look beautiful :)

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to order mine online because I can never find all the NYX products here in Canada!

      Delete
  4. Not sure I'd buy these, but Stone does look lovely!

    Annabel ♥Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments always brightens my day and I appreciate them all so so much! xoxo

© Melissa Bartlett | Beauty & Lifestyle. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig